Healthy relationships are essential for your well-being, so it’s important to guard yourself from those who have potential to cause hurt or pain in your life. Since no person is perfect. it’s no wonder relationships experience tough times.
Unhealthy relationships can be very toxic. If you notice one or more of the following signs in any of your relationships, take steps now to fix the problem.
- Controlling: When a person acts controlling, they begin to try to position themselves in power over the other person. This may be done through intimidation or manipulation.
- Lack of trust: Trust embraces honesty and integrity and must be present for a person to feel safe and secure. When trust is ignored, it opens a door for jealousy or suspicion and can cause unhealthy situations.
- Poor communication: When life gets hard you need to be able to talk things over. Open, consistent, and respectful communication goes both ways in a healthy relationship. Even if different opinions are shared, each person should be willing to listen without judgment.
- Unsupportive: The relationship you are in should encourage you to be an even better version of yourself. Your significant other should be one of your biggest cheerleaders, supporting you to accomplish goals that are important to you and grow you as a person!
- Codependent: The core symptom of co-dependencey is low self-esteem. A codependent person finds that virtually all of their thoughts and behaviors revolve around another person or set of people in their life. This behavior will cause the relationship to be one-sided and emotionally destructive. Set healthy boundaries that respects each others space and own interests.
- Domestic Violence: It is NEVER okay for a person to hit and/or harm anyone else. If you or someone you know is a victim of domestic violence, please seek immediate help. Call (888) 373-7888 or text “BE FREE” to 233733.
You deserve to be in a healthy relationship where you feel trust, respect, safety and security. A healthy relationship takes work from both partners, courage to admit wrongdoing and bravery to call a relationship off if it is not healthy for you.
If you need someone to talk to, we are here for you. Mid Cities Women’s Clinic is a trusted medical clinic offering discreet, non-judgemental, compassionate care. We provide specialized medical services including complimentary pregnancy testing, STI testing, & ultrasounds (upon qualification) professional counseling, education, and support services.