If you’re facing an unplanned pregnancy as a college student, you may be wondering how you can make it through your next exam, let alone to graduation.
It can be easy to panic and make a snap decision at a moment like this. Take a deep breath and let it out slowly. We’re here to tell you that pregnancy doesn’t have to derail your college ambition! Keep reading to learn more about your rights and the resources available to you as a pregnant college student!
What is Title IX?
Title IX is a law that protects students from discrimination. It ensures every pregnant college student has what they need to achieve academic success! Any college or university that receives federal funds is required to comply with Title IX.
Are there Accommodations for Pregnant Students?
Under Title IX, pregnant students are entitled to quite a few accommodations, such as larger desks and elevator access. Your professors must also:
- Allow you to make up the work or exams missed while you were out
- Allow you to make frequent trips to the restroom as needed
- Excuse absences related to your pregnancy and childbirth
Can I Stay in My Dorm While Pregnant?
You’re allowed to stay in your dorm during your pregnancy. In fact, it’s illegal to kick pregnant students out of their dorms! If someone is attempting to kick you out, speak to your campus Title IX coordinator immediately! They will keep you informed of your rights and help you fight back against any discrimination you may be facing.
Can I Participate in Extra Curricular Activities While Pregnant?
Yes! Title IX enables you to continue participating in extracurricular activities, including sports, while pregnant. Of course, you need to consider whether it’s safe for you to play certain sports during your pregnancy. However, the decision to continue is between you and your OBGYN. Your coach and professors can’t force you to sit out of any activities. Speak to a nurse to discuss your options!
Are there Scholarships for Pregnant Students?
Yes! There are scholarships for pregnant students to ease the financial burden of their college education. These scholarships won’t need to be paid back after graduation (unlike student loans), which will help reduce your out-of-pocket costs.
Can I Lose My Scholarships Because of My Pregnancy?
No! According to Title IX and the NCAA Model Pregnancy and Parenting Policy, you cannot lose your academic or athletic scholarships because of your pregnancy. As long as you remain in good academic standing and don’t drop out of college, you can keep the scholarships you received before your pregnancy.
Support for Pregnant Students in Euless, TX
Pregnancy may not have been part of your plan, but it doesn’t have to hold you back from achieving your dreams! Mid Cities Women’s Clinic is here to help, from your first pregnancy test to the day you walk the stage. We provide a variety of free services and a safe place to explore all of your pregnancy options, so you can make an informed and empowered decision for your future!
- US Department of Education. (2020, January 10). Pregnant or Parenting? Title IX Protects You From Discrimination At School. Ed.gov. Retrieved from https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/dcl-know-rights-201306-title-ix.html
- College Grants & Scholarships for Pregnant Women. Scholarships for Women. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.scholarshipsforwomen.net/pregnant/
- A Review of Federal Law and NCAA Rules Impacting Treatment of Pregnant and Parenting Student-Athletes. NCAA.org. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://s3.amazonaws.com/ncaa.org/documents/2021/1/18/Model_Policy_Legal_Review.pdf